November is Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness Month and the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) would like to remind everyone of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Appliances fuelled with gas, oil, kerosene, coal, peat or wood may produce carbon monoxide. If such appliances are not installed, maintained, and used properly CO may accumulate to dangerous and even deadly levels in homes, cars or poorly ventilated areas.
The ‘silent killer’ as carbon monoxide (CO) is often known is odourless, colourless, tasteless and in high concentrations can be fatal in a matter of minutes.
The best way to protect yourself is to ensure all fuel-burning appliances are checked and serviced annually by a registered engineer. Chimneys and flues should also be inspected annually and swept, if required, by a registered technician.
Installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm is an additional precaution however it is important to remember that they have a limited life span. Now therefore is a good time to check your current CO alarm is working as it may be time to purchase a new one.
During November you can help raise awareness by sharing HSENI’s CO safety messages posted on our social media channels:
For more information contact the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland on 0800 0320 121 or visit the HSENI Carbon Monoxide website topic page: www.hseni.gov.uk/watchout